The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: How to operate and use the Allison 3000MH and 4000MH transmissions (Read 3929 times) previous topic - next topic

How to operate and use the Allison 3000MH and 4000MH transmissions

This video was produced by Allison on how to operate the 3000MH / 4000MH transmissions, which are built specifically for Motorhomes.  It was formerly available for free on their website but now appears to now be gone.  Although produced in early 2000, as near as I can tell, the information is still 100% relevant today.  The items covered are:
    • Basic Shift Selector Operation
    • Mode Operation
    • Driving Tips
    • Oil Level Sensor
    • Shift Inhibits
    • Self Diagnostics
    • Using the retarder (not used on Entegra which uses the engine brake)

Operating the Allison 3000MH and 4000MH Transmissions
Operating the Allison 3000MH and 4000MH Transmissions

Re: How to operate and use the Allison 3000MH and 4000MH transmissions

Reply #1
That is a fun video, it could be sub-titled "Why RVers should not eat every meal at Cracker Barrel"tm  O:) OK just kidding about that!,

There really is some great information on how to properly use the transmission, good for new users and as a refresher for those who have been at it for awhile.  Looking at the retarder makes me wish that was an option for Entegra. 

I'm sure thats not going to happen given how well the engine brake does work, but it would be nice to see the 3 level engine brake used across the line (instead of 3 level in the Cornerstone and 2 below that).  Maybe that is an engine restriction of the 450hp?

Reply #2
Looking at the retarder makes me wish that was an option for Entegra.

The retarder is nice, but it's not perfect.  You do need to watch transmission sump temperatures on long downhills.  I'm not familiar enough with the engine brake to know if there's anything you need to watch with it.  Would be good to know so you could have that set up for easy viewing on a VMSpc or other Silverleaf engine monitoring system.

Reply #3
Thanks for this, it was a good refresher  ;D