The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: 26M mattress on the murphy bed (Read 3208 times) previous topic - next topic

26M mattress on the murphy bed

I am considering purchasing the 26M but am concerned about the comfort level of the mattress on the murphy bed. I would like input from anyone about the possibility of changing the mattress to something more comfortable should the mattress that comes with the unit does not work well for my wife or I.
I am thinking the thickness will have to remain the same but if not please advise me on that as well.

Thanks so much.

Re: 26M mattress on the murphy bed

Reply #1
Just purchased the 26M also. Concerned about same issue. Our first outing is in a few days, so I will let you know how it goes. Because of how it folds and what happens behind it, a foam topper does not work. It falls down, bunches up and prevents full closure. At this point it would appear that a replacement of some kind is the only answer, or hopefully could be comfortable enough.  As I said, will comment on it later next week .

Reply #2
I am considering purchasing the 26M but am concerned about the comfort level of the mattress on the murphy bed. I would like input from anyone about the possibility of changing the mattress to something more comfortable should the mattress that comes with the unit does not work well for my wife or I.
I am thinking the thickness will have to remain the same but if not please advise me on that as well.

Thanks so much.
Just returned from 3 nights on the Murphy bed. It is very firm, but I did not find it too bad at all. Mattresses are so subjective depending on your likes. Too soft gives me a terrible backache, so this really was acceptable, but if you like soft, forget it. The current mattress is anchored by the fabric at the foot with three screws to keep it in place when folding up. If you were to replace it, you would have to figure out a way to hold the replacement one in place. Hope this helps.

Reply #3
We have the 26m and the bed is very firm as stated...but not bad.  We are going to try to put a topper on it and use the same screws to hold in place on one end and either screws or velcro on the other.  We love the coach though and will figure out the bed part.  We picked ours up in late July and still getting used to everything as this is our first motorhome. 

Barbara

Reply #4
We have a 26M and posting  this for the benifit of others who own or looking at a 26M.

We just returned from a 5 week 5500 mile trip with our new 26M, it worked very well for us. Here is what we did with the bed.

We got a nice down topper and folded the foot portion of the topper around the base of the Murphy bed with the elastic that normally holds the topper to a mattress. Then while traveling (up position) the head portion of the topper is folded in half with the head of topper elastic also folded over the the foot of the Murphy bed. Basically the topper travels folded in half hanging by the elastic folded over the base of the Murphy bed. You do see the elastic when the Murphy bed is in the up position. We then found the pillows can be stuffed in to the small pocket area on each side of the bed. For bedding we purchased a product called "bed sack" which is sort of a queen sized sleeping bag with velcro attached sheets inside. The bed sack has two sides a winter side (thicker) and a summer side (thinner) and nice zippers on each side. Expensive ($500) but very good quality. We make the bed by taking the head portion of the mattress and folding the topper elastic over it and pushing it in to place at the head of the bed. We then take the bed sack, which is stored folded in the front overhead bed area, and unfold it onto the bed. Works fantastic, very comfortable, and takes about 2 minutes to setup and takedown. We also store the back of the couch cushions under the Murphy bed on the floor in the down position.

Hope this helps others that are looking at the 26M.

Reply #5
I have a 26M and I am in the middle of a 6 month trip. The original Murphy bed was too firm for Mme so I bought a 3 inch Natural latex topper and added it to the top. I hold in place with a giant rubber band around the foot. it gos up and down just fine. The bed only closes about 99% but it hasn't been a problem.
Also, the post before I  is written as if I wrote it. Everything he said I do too. The pillows fit nice on the floor.

This is my 4th Motorhome and other than the cheap materials it was built with this is my favorite. Plenty room and you aren't dragging a bedroom around all day.

Reply #6
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update reference the murphy bed mattress on our 26M.  We put a topper on the mattress and used some twine to secure it to the mattress in certain points.  We then added a mattress pad and wrapped that around the entire config. to hold it all together.  We also used twine to pull the pad edges tight and tied sides, top and bottom together.  We then used a three velcro and nylon strap configuration to be able to cinch everything together and hold it vertical when slide closed.  The straps are adjustable.  We did reinsert the mattress end in the aluminum frame and reinserted the three original screws.  We probably could have gotten away with just the screws and/or maybe just one or two straps but we figured better safe than sorry with the additional weight.  Not a lot over the original weight though, and so far seems to be working well.  We used part of the topper and pad on the top part of the bed as well.  The comfort level is amazing compared to the original.  This really works wonders for us!

Take care,
Barbara