The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: What portable camp chair do you use (Read 4664 times) previous topic - next topic

What portable camp chair do you use

My current set of camp chairs are on their last legs.  I don't recall the brand, but they had a side flip up table and a couple of side pouches.  They would be considered director chair style, they fold flat vs in to a tube.

For me these never ended up being comfortable after you sat in them for any length of time.  Also the table top swelled up when it got a heavy dew on it one morning.  Lastly the legs held some water that you had to drain out should you leave them out in the rain (like that ever happens when camping)

So now its time to look again and I'm curious as to what others are using and are happy with.  Thanks for you input and suggestions!

Re: What portable camp chair do you use

Reply #1
For a non directors chair option (I've not really found many director style chairs comfortable for my back) take a look at the Alps King Kong quad chair.  King Kong / ALPS Mountaineering

Its a bit heavy at ~13lbs but we are not talking about something to take backpacking but instead something to place under our Nova Awning to enjoy a tasty beverage :D  Its rated for 800lbs has a powder coated steel frame so it durable and is supremely comfortable.  Had a pair of these for some time and am quite pleased.  Only negative is since they have some padding, they can hold water in the cushion but they dry quickly.

Reply #2
Another option to consider are the chairs from Zip Dee Fold-Away Chairs

We had a pair of these and found them to be robust and comfortable,  they fold very flat (they say 2" thick) so they store nicely and do not weight very much but I have no idea how much!  You can get them in any of the zip dee awning colors as well, its nice to actually have a choice.  You can read about them at the above link.

Now the bad part,  first they have no on board storage, no pockets, no drink holder and ...... they cost around $150 bucks a shot, comfort does not come cheap !

Reply #3

We had the Zip Dee with a previous coach.  Nice that they matched the awning Sunbrella fabric, but I thought they were heavy, so I'm surprised you thought otherwise.

I was doing some research and came across the Strongback chairs The Most Comfortable Outdoor Chairs by STRONGBACK .  Has anyone sat it one?  They claim to be great for folks with back issues.  There don't seem to be any sticks n' bricks retailers for them so you can test-sit, though, just direct or through Amazon Amazon.com : STRONGBACK Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support,...

Reply #4
Those Strongback chairs look pretty awesome,  I have a bad back so those may be the ticket to allow me longer outside lounging times :D

According to the Zee Dee site those chairs weight 8lbs each, the above Strongback is 11.9Lbs.  Maybe it was just more awkward to handle as a folded flat object vs a "tube" ?

Reply #5
According to the Zee Dee site those chairs weight 8lbs each, the above Strongback is 11.9Lbs. 

Huh - I would have thought the Zip Dees weighed more than that.  Maybe an older model?  (they were from 2002.....)  I do wish we could see the Strongback in person before ordering.

Reply #6
Another one to consider is the REI Co-op Camp X Chair, its a good all around camp chair, not to light not to heavy.  I guess the one downside is that it does sit a little low, not beach chair low but lower than say a directory chair.  At least with REI you can find a store and take one for a butt drive :D

Reply #7
I'm off to do some test sitting at REI, CampingWorld and maybe Dicks. 

They all seem to have a good variety of styles to try.  We have also had mixed results with the chairs.  Go to lightweight and they don't seem to hold up, others seem like they are good but end up not being that comfortable to sit in and watch a game on the outdoor TV. Anyway some good suggestions here, thanks for them.

Reply #8
Ended up trying several chairs at REI and Cabelas but no love !

They were either to low, or to wide or just plain uncomfortable after a short while.  The REI Camp X chair was pretty good, but was a little to low to the ground and the back was to low.  I think it could be the right chair for someone the right height for it, but it was not for me.

The zero gravity style loungers were also very comfortable, but I'm not sure I want to take up that amount of storage space.

Still would like to find someplace to try the Strongback.