The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: Manual override for engine hatch (Read 5192 times) previous topic - next topic

Manual override for engine hatch

A new manual override for engine cover door was announced as one of the changes for the 2018 models. 

For those new to this, the 2017 models introduced an electric lift mechanism to the engine hatch. Should anything fail in that system, motor, switch, no batteries, well you could not open it which is not ideal.  Even when working the door, IMO, raises at a glacial pace.  You can depress the open/raise switch and grab yourself a cold one and deploy all of your awnings while you are waiting  :P .  Compare that to the air raise mechanism found on certain Newmar models, which is more far responsive and just feels / sounds better.

Anyway, back to this 2018 change..  We were expecting a new secondary level or latch that would allow one to open the engine bay door like a "normal" engine hatch.  Something like the 2015 models.  Some pull this pin to disengage the electric lift motors and then a open normally / manually mechanism would take over.

What we have seen is nothing of the sort.  What was done is replace two bolts in the lift mechanism with removable clevis pins.  So should a failure occur, you just have to contort yourself reach up behind the engine hatch and bark your knuckles undo / remove the pin on each side and hold up with one hand open the door.  Once done with your engine / filter / belt / inspection work, you will have to lower the door and replace the pins.

We could be  wrong in how this operates, but you know you can't break it until you purchased it ;)  Also the change was just for emergencies, but I really feel the entire system should be re engineered in the near future.  I tried to take a couple of pictures so you can see the changes, see the attached.

Re: Manual override for engine hatch

Reply #1
just got a new 2018 aspire. they never said anything about this to me. I will have to check mine to see if it is there. thanks  motordoc

Reply #2
AFAIK it should be there in all of the models that have the electric engine hatch lift.  It was added in the event of a lift motor failure or electrical problem, like dead batteries. 

I *think*  you may be able to reach in through the rear louvers and undo that bail and then pull the pin.  The the door should raise normally.  I also *think* it has gas struts to keep it up once you do that.  Be interesting to see what you find and how it actually works.

Congratulations on your new 2018 Asprie  ;D

Reply #3
Firsthand knowledge after long effort troubleshooting the engine door not working:  In the 2018 Anthem there are 2 small breakers mounted below the batteries w/ red plastic covers.  This is a change from 2017.  One is for the engine door, the other provides chassis voltage info to the Vegatouch. They get reset by pressing the small button on the top. 

Reply #4
Firsthand knowledge after long effort troubleshooting the engine door not working:  In the 2018 Anthem there are 2 small breakers mounted below the batteries w/ red plastic covers.  This is a change from 2017.  One is for the engine door, the other provides chassis voltage info to the Vegatouch. They get reset by pressing the small button on the top. 
Good to know.  Probably should have been covered in PDI.