The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: Video: Viair 400P Portable Compressor Kit (Read 3583 times) previous topic - next topic

Video: Viair 400P Portable Compressor Kit

Hi All,

I thought I would share this with you as it outlines my experience with the Viair 400P compressor. It's a fraction of the size of traditional compressors and it sure beats someone of my limited skills attempting to plug into the coach's air system to top off the tires!

As you'll see in the video, I had some issues with it during my first use, but a call to tech support explained what I was doing incorrectly and now I can say it works well. You'll see me referencing a folding electric bicycle in the video and if you're looking for one, I found one that's a lot of fun to ride and easily folds for relatively compact storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkxJOzkybHc
1957 Flxible Starliner
2014 Marathon

Re: Video: Viair 400P Portable Compressor Kit

Reply #1

Thanks for posting that, Andy.  One comment - that red plug you pulled out, that's where the supplied filter housing screws in.  Ours came with a couple of spare foam filters for it.

We recently went through the "analysis paralysis" of which portable compressor to carry with coach.  We also opted for a Viair, but this one

Amazon.com: VIAIR 45053 Silver Automatic Portable Compressor Kit (450P-RV),...

We chose the 450 even though it has a slower output because it is rated for continuous use (I think the 400 can run for 30-40 minutes, then needs to cool down for 20-30 between uses).  We don't ever hope to need a compressor to run a long time, but it's nice to know it's a robust unit.

Note for RVs you might want to make sure to select the 400P-RV Amazon.com: Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit: Automotive or 450P-RV linked above since these are kits that get you additional hose length.

Now, for those who might ask "My Entegra has the onboard engine compressor, why would I need a portable one?", well, you might not need it, but it does let you air up tires and things without firing up the coach engine, especially for the higher pressures.

We used ours yesterday to adjust the pressures on our coach and it was very fast and very quiet.  Steve even commented how much he loved the new compressor.

You can't go wrong with either Viair

Reply #2

Now, for those who might ask "My Entegra has the onboard engine compressor, why would I need a portable one?", well, you might not need it, but it does let you air up tires and things without firing up the coach engine, especially for the higher pressures.

Also, for those of us who don't have mega-mechanical skills, using a separate compressor means there's a better chance of not breaking something on the coach!
1957 Flxible Starliner
2014 Marathon

Reply #3
That is a great portable compressor, highly recommend it.

Its much nicer, especially for your campground "neighbors",  than having to start up the engine at a campground just to add a few pounds of air to a tire.  Its also easy to use on bikes or your tow car.  Not having it tied to the coach also makes it much more versatile.