The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: Getting back on the road - Newbie needs help (Read 6649 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting back on the road - Newbie needs help

Hi everyone.  Long story short, my wife inherited a 2014 Anthem from her father, and we decided, at least for the forseeable future, to keep it.  We live in Omaha, NE, and the RV is currently in CA.  We were able to go out there and take a look at it, and for the most part it looks to be in good condition.  The electric steps up the front door don't work, the drivers side windshield wiper arm is removed/broken, the cable for the flush mechanism in the toilet is broken, and I've been told there "might" be a leak in the air suspension.  It appears to have not been on the road for about a year, but has been plugged in so the electrics have stayed on, and the engine fired right up when I tried it.

I'm here looking for guidance.  We've never owned anything like this before, and I don't know where to begin to get it back on the road so we can bring it home.  I do have experience driving large vehicles (MRAPs in Iraq, LOL) but that's about it.  Thanks in advance, and hope to see you out on the roads somewhere!

Re: Getting back on the road - Newbie needs help

Reply #1
My suggestion, Find a qualified mobile RV tech to come out and go over the coach with you.

Reply #2
Where in Calif. is it located?  When do you want to pick it up?  Have you located someone to check it out for you?  Are you planning on driving it straight back, or take a leisurely  sight seeing trip?  I live in Southern Calif and  we own a 2015 Entegra Aspire .  asking these questions out of curiosity , if  I could possibly be of help or service to  you. Rudy
Rudy and Carol Pulice  Fulltime as of 8/15/2019  Making Reality from 40 years of Dreaming      2015 Aspire  42RBQ  Named  Pearly  towing  2005 Silverado 2004 Klamath ontop

Reply #3
It's up by Sacramento right now.  We're heading out there next month to get it serviced and recall work on the front suspension and windshield wipers.  We'll be driving it back to NE, taking the southern route through Phoenix and up through NM and TX, so kinda sightseeing, kinda straight-through.

A few questions for ya Rudy, I know it's not a car by any stretch, but is it easy to drive?  Is this a vehicle I could drive for 7-10 hours at a time without becoming exhausted? What kind of range can I expect out of a tank of gas?  Thanks in advance, like I said, this is all new to us, but we're looking forward to the adventure!

Reply #4
Congratulations on your decision.  In my opinion it is easy to drive, very comfortable etc.,  alot will depend on how relaxed a driver you are in General.  It may seem HUGE at first and intimidating. but try to relax and don't panic.  You only have to adjust to size and don't get in a rush. Don't make sudden moves, look first. If you travel South on Interstate 5 from the bay you will have a lot of straight Freeway to adjust to the size of the unit and get comfortable with"Lane Position".  When you first start to drive just remember to make a right turn wait until your object on right (curb or Street sign) is just past your seat to start the turn, and watch the right mirror seeing the fixed object and your rear tires are safely clearing the ( adjust turning steering wheel accordingly).  ALSO in General try to develop the habit of looking into Big Mirrors while remaining centered in your seat, NOT  Leaning Sideways or Forward.    Most  RV'rs  drive less hours a day, but you should have not problem driving longer hours from a comfort standpoint.  Just Please don't  make sudden and frequent lane changes.  Fuel mileage will depend alot one terrain,wind, load weight, Driver habits like using cruise control, and using Generator to power roof Air Conditioners and Refridgerato  ETC.  Typically  5 to 6 1/2 mpg.  If you Encounter windy conditions that are strong enough to move the coach just slow down but don't STOP in a driving Lane. Also don't drive lower than  1/4tank on fuel gauge.  your route has plenty of good Truckstops for fuel. 
Rudy and Carol Pulice  Fulltime as of 8/15/2019  Making Reality from 40 years of Dreaming      2015 Aspire  42RBQ  Named  Pearly  towing  2005 Silverado 2004 Klamath ontop

Reply #5
Thanks for the tips, Rudy!  Good stuff to know.  If I have more questions (probably will) I'll post, otherwise will put up a trip report when I'm done.

Reply #6
Happy travels, have fun and enjoy it.  btw I think you'll probably get 375 to400 miles on  3/4 tank of fuel

Reply #7
Rudy i hope your fuel usage is incorrect  using about 112 gallons 75% on 400 miles
or did you mean 25% of 150 for 400 miles

Reply #8
My fuel tank capacity is 100 Gallons.  At 5 to 6.5 mpg  your range at that point would be 375 to 475 miles before refueling.

Reply #9
Tank capacity is a guess. That is tank size. The pickup does not get all the fuel out of the tank. Also your cannot fill it completely. Spartan says about 80 usable from a100 gallon capacity. Rest is air space in the top, angle of fill entering the tank and the pickup tube. Have it inspected. Check air pressure in tires. About 85 in all rears and 120 in both front. Pull the air tank bleed valves in the right front wheelwell. Silver, green red I think is the proper way. Drive into the intersection like a truck driver then turn right hard. Hope this helps

Reply #10
Thanks for all the help, guys.

So, got it done.  Elk Grove down CA99 and I-5 to Palm Desert on the first day, that was about 13 hours, and used about 1/2 tank of gas. Got a Low DEF warning going up the I-5 Grapevine, but luckily was right by a truck stop exit, so got that taken care of (I didn't know what DEF was...)  I hit LA at around 6:30 PM, which was apparently that magical unicorn sweet spot, because there was hardly any traffic on the 210.  Palm Desert to Phoenix next day, where we got the 8 house batteries replaced.  Phoenix to Las Cruces was a nice drive for day 3, as was day 4 through Albuquerque to Clinton OK.  Day 5 to Omaha was fine as well.  Overall it took about $1100 in gas to go 2500 miles; I never let it go below 1/2, all while towing a UHaul Car Hauler with a Hyundai AWD Tucson on the back.  6 hours is about the most I could drive before needing a break.  Letting it rest in an RV lot now, and more maintenance (and a very thorough cleaning) in the coming weeks.  Overall, it was quite the adventure, but will limit myself to 400 miles/6 hours for any future trips.

Reply #11
Congratulation, sounds like you did good.  I have been busy with life stuff and didn't see your post until just now.  I sure glad everything went well for you.