The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: Girard Awnings (Read 4381 times) previous topic - next topic

Girard Awnings

Has anyone had issues with their Anthem Girard awnings stopping part way during extension or retraction? Seems like the motor may be overloading, tripping a breaker, then resets after about 20 minutes. I'll give Girard a call on Monday, but was wondering if anyone has had any issues like this.

Mike T
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B
Mike & Gaye
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B
+ 2014 Honda CRV TOAD

Re: Girard Awnings

Reply #1
There is a thermal sensor that trips an internal circuit breaker to prevent operating the awnings in an overheat condition.  These sensors are pretty sensitive. If they trip it can take up to an hour to reset based on the outside temperature or how hot the motor got.

Does it just happen randomly or only after a few retractions / extensions like may occur on a breezy day?

Reply #2
If it did cycle in a few times in a hour, either by the wind sensor or just testing to see if it was working again, then the motor will go over temp and shutdown.  You have to let it cool down for an hour to be sure its fully down in temperature before you cycle it again. 

By wind sensor I mean the motion sensor that is on the outer rail.  You can adjust that to be more or less sensitive.  I think that motion sensor was a step in the right direction from the wind anemometer Girard used to use, but it can be a little inconsistent from time to time, but less so then the anemometer, and you do not have to worry about leaving it stuck on a tree branch  :'(

Reply #3
One other possibility (that would cause the motor overheat trip) is if the limit sensors are not adjusted correctly. 

When extending the awning, or retracting it, once it gets to its fully extended or closed limits the motor should stop.  If instead it gets to the fully extend or closed position, and you can hear the motor continuing to try and run (listen closely) then the limit switches need to be adjusted so the motor stops and does not try to run for to long.  Those limits sometimes need to have minor adjustments as the awning fabric stretches or shrinks with age / usage.

Reply #4
Thanks everyone for the responses.  I was cycling the awnings in and out to listen for any noise or binding on a 100+ deg day! I'm sure that's what overtemped the motor. Happened mid-travel both times, so don't think it's the limit settings. It did reset after about 30 minutes.  So much to learn . . .so little time!  :)  Thanks again.
Mike & Gaye
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B
+ 2014 Honda CRV TOAD