The quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.
Skip to main content
Topic: What tow gear / bar do you use? (Read 5754 times) previous topic - next topic

What tow gear / bar do you use?

Curious as to what folks are using for towing the toad  :)

The other post about what vehicle do you tow 4 down made me think, what tow gear do you or have you used?

A) Tow Bar, what do you use and why?
B) Toad Brake.  Do you use a supplemental brake system in your toad?
C) Tow shield .  Do you use a shield or skirt?

Re: What tow gear / bar do you use?

Reply #1
OK since I'm asking, I'll start!

Tow Bar
I've used the roadmaster Sterling for many years and thought it was a great tow bar.  I like that it had the built in cable guides which kept things clean and tidy.  It was however a bear to release if it was not straight on. 
Currently I'm using an "older" Blue Ox Aventa bar.  Been pretty happy with it, although I did wear out the original ball joint and had to replace it.  The blue ox generally releases with little effort (unlike the Sterling) but dealing with all those cables and Xcrossing them so they don't hang is messy.

Tow Brake
Started with the US Gear Unified Tow Break, good progressive brake system.  When I got a new toad I went with the air force one system.  Both have been great, can't say I like one over the other.

Skirt
I started with a Protect-a-Tow, simple and effective.  That think lasted and lasted.  When it finally did wear out, I purchased a new one (took around 9 years to wear out). 
Currently have a blue ox KarGard which has also been very good.  The reason I changed was the new tow car did not have a great place to install the Protect-a-Tow hooks, where as the KarGard attaches only to the tow bar and does not require any changes to the RV or toad.

So what do others use ??

Reply #2
We're on our 3rd Blue Ox tow bar over many years of RV'ing and currently using an AVENTA.  SMI AF1 air braking system.  We had a B.O. Guard but found it a PITA so use nothing and really see no downside at this point in time maybe because our toad is 8 yrs old and has the usual little stone or shopping cart dings.

Reply #3
Roadmaster Falcon  All Terrain
SMI AirForce I
No tow shield
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Reply #4
We used the AF1 tow brake with our previous coach.  Great system (as long as your installer doesn't accidentally puncture your toad's brake booster when installing the cable bracket  :-X )  I see that some of the other brands on the Spartan chassis are getting Spartan's "Safe Haul" as standard equipment, which looks like it might be the equivalent to the AF1's coach-mounted ping tank

RV Advanced Protection System

Any word on Entegra providing this on their coaches as standard equipment?  The website above lists the CS as one of the models getting it, but I haven't seen a toad air line connector on the back of the the 2018 CS's we've seen and the individual Spartan page for the CS's chassis doesn't mention it (whereas the ones for Newmar do). 

Reply #5
I use the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Tow Bar.  Super easy to hook up and detach, and I really like their built in channel for the safety cables and the power cable.  For the brakes its the SMI AirForce I ... No tow shield

Any word on Entegra providing this on their coaches as standard equipment?  The website above lists the CS as one of the models getting it, but I haven't seen a toad air line connector on the back of the the 2018 CS's we've seen and the individual Spartan page for the CS's chassis doesn't mention it (whereas the ones for Newmar do). 
I have no idea, but it would be very nice!

Reply #6
I have a demco excalibar and love it. Demco is a great company to work with and a quic call they answer any questions that I might have. Hd mine for 6 years now and works perfect. I have a brake buddy and just got it. not really sure i need it to tow my equinox  but wanted to keep in the law. The best thing you can have is tire pressure monitors. I love my TST system and i have had no problems in 5 years. Like is so much I decided to sell the system so I program it and send it out already set to the pressure people want. 3 year warranty andno troubles

Reply #7
I must have been living under a rock, but I had never heard of demco  before.  Here is the webpage Tow Bars | Demco Products  They look really nice, thanks for bringing them to my attention, I'll be considering them in the future.

As you noted, some states require you to have supplemental braking based on the weight of what you are towing.  Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle 

Reply #9
Tow vehicle:  2010 Kia Soul (nice and light)

Tow bar:  Demco Commander
No brake system, no skirt.